[ltp] usb floppy on TP R30 & boot using lilo floppy

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:33:22 -0400

On Saturday 19 October 2002 05:32 am, Giuseppe Leto wrote:

I think you need to substitute 'hda' for 'sda' there. This isn't a floppy
problem. '/dev/sda' would refer to your first SCSI harddrive... /dev/hda
would refer to your first IDE hard drive. Since you don't HAVE a SCSI hard
drive you can't copy a boot sector off it... Honestly I'm not sure why you
would ever get past the first command (mke2fs). The only reason I can think
of being that a USB floppy shows up as /dev/sda or somesuch, but I have no
experience with usb floppy drives.

Personally I would tell you to do something a LOT simpler. Just use the
mkbootdisk utility which comes with RedHat and Mandrake (and probably other
distros too). It takes care of all this junk for you.