[ltp] T20 / Mandrake 8.2 keyboard problems.

Simon Hooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:15:38 +0100

* On 21/10/02, Winston Khoo wrote:
> Hi i'm a linux newbie, i just installed mandrake 8.2
> on my trusty IBM T20, and all the keyboard mapping
> went wrong.I can't type the letters UIOPJKLM, instead
> it gave numbers instead.

Sounds like your numlock is on. Shift + Scroll lock toggles mine
(Thinkpad X20).

Incidently, you may have to do this at the console. To get the Numlock
to work in X I had to add the correct keycode into ~/.xmodmaprc and
run xmodmap on this file from my ~/.xsession.

e.g.

~/.xmodmaprc

! Turn Caps into Ctrl
keycode 66 = Control_L
clear Lock
add Control = Control_L
! Enable my Thinkpad Num_lock
keycode 77 = Num_Lock

~/.xsession

# Activates the Thinkpad num-lock & turns Caps into Ctrl
xmodmap -f ~/.xmodmaprc &
...other stuff
exec /usr/bin/fluxbox

HTH