[ltp] thinkpad 4.0 and tpctl 4.0 tarballs available for testing

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
27 Oct 2002 12:18:13 +0100

Hi.  It would be helpful if folks would test the
thinkpad and tpctl version 4.0 tarballs.
   http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/thinkpad_4.0.tar.gz
   http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tpctl_4.0.tar.gz

This version of thinkpad/tpctl works properly only with very
recent 2.4 kernels (... and with all 2.2 kernels).  To build
debian packages from these tarballs you will need the most
recent version of debhelper (4.1.18) in the unstable archive.

Please let me know if this release candidate solves
the cannot-open-device problem.  Also let me know if I have
broken anything else.

If you are a Debian user then you can follow the following
procedure.  Make sure you have your kernel sources installed.
Get the tarballs above and put them into some convenient place.
Then as root do:
    tar zxvf thinkpad_4.0.tar.gz
    tar zxvf tpctl_4.0.tar.gz
    cd thinkpad-4.0
    make debs
    dpkg -i ../thinkpad-base_4.0-1_i386.deb
    dpkg -i ../thinkpad-source_4.0-1_i386.deb
    cd ../tpctl-4.0
    make deb
    dpkg -i ../tpctl_4.0-1_i386.deb
    cd /usr/src
    rm -rf modules/thinkpad
    tar zxvf thinkpad.tar.gz
    cd $KERNEL_SOURCE_TREE
    make-kpkg modules-image
    dpkg --install ../thinkpad-modules-...4.0-1...deb
    tpctl -x

If that doesn't work, please try
    tpctl --device=/dev/thinkpad -x
and