[ltp] Linux not stable

Toby Riddell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 07:12:34 -0800 (PST)

> I have been experiencing a lot of instability using Linux.  I am trying
> to use Linux to specifically get away from MS's unstable products.

I had many problems with my 600E until I added the "mem=" directive to the
grub configuration file. I read that Linux does not know that part of the
RAM is reserved for the firmware and this line is needed to prevent them
walking all over each other. The problems manifested themselves as
occasional, random crashes, problems with shutdown, and creeping
filesystem corruption until the system would no longer boot.

Adding mem= fixed the problem, I recommend you try this as it's quick to
implement. The amount of RAM to use is the amount shown when the laptop is
initialising and you can verify that it has had an effect by comparing
MemTotal in /proc/meminfo before and after you implement it.

Toby