[ltp] Linux not stable

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:23:43 -0500

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 07:12:34 -0800 (PST)
Toby Riddell <tobyriddell@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I had many problems with my 600E until I added the "mem=" directive to
> the grub configuration file. I read that Linux does not know that part
> of the RAM is reserved for the firmware and this line is needed to
> prevent them walking all over each other. The problems manifested
> themselves as occasional, random crashes, problems with shutdown, and
> creeping filesystem corruption until the system would no longer boot.

Oddly enough, I *don't* have this problem with my Thinkpad 600 (no
E or X, running Red Hat 7.3), and I've not touched the grub configuration
file.

The system appears to use the same amount of memory as shown when the
machine boots.  Does this problem only hit certain versions of the
kernel/grub/lilo?

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/