[ltp] thinkpad USB printing

Paul Phillips linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:36:05 -0800 (PST)

I have an old thinkpad 570 with a busted screen that I use as a server.
It's great at this.  I've just purchased an HP G85xi that I'd like to
attach and print to, but I've had a brutal time getting this to work.

The USB connection works, and the device is detected:

root@apollo:/dev/usb# lsusb | grep Hew
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:0311 Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet G85xi
  idVendor           0x03f0 Hewlett-Packard
  iManufacturer           1 Hewlett-Packard

I have created the /dev/usb devices as indicated in the docs:

root@apollo:/dev/usb# ls -l
total 0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp       180,   0 Oct 24 21:22 lp0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp       180,   1 Oct 24 21:25 lp1

And indeed, the USB printer driver is loaded and used:

root@apollo:/dev/usb# lsmod
printer                 7360   0
usb-uhci               21028   0  (unused)

If I unload the printer driver and reload it, it claims "unused" until I
cat a file to /dev/usb/lp0 and then it's used, so that appears to be
working.  And catting a file to /dev/usb/lp1 yields "No such device" so it
appears to be at lp0 as expected.  But nothing is logged and the printer
doesn't do anything.  The printer does work under win2k.

Any pointers hugely appreciated!

--
Paul Phillips      | All mimes were the borrowers,
Protagonist        | And the moderate Belgrade.