[ltp] How?: Trackpoint USB keyboard in linux

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
31 Oct 2002 12:09:51 -0600

+---------- On Oct 31, Boyan said:
> The keyboard still has no sign of working, although it seem to be
> recognised and reported on the HUB information. USB keyboard is enabled in
> the BIOS and at boottime the numlock flashes for a moment.

Well, maybe it shouldn't be enabled in the BIOS.  I don't know.  Maybe
that interferes with normal operation.

> Then when linux starts it is like dead. I wonder if a similar trick
> of adding a 2nd InputDevice keyboard[1] in XF86Config would work? The
> problem is I do not know what Protocol to use for the USB keyboard and
> what Option "XkbModel" and Option "Device"?

You don't need to tell X about the keyboard.  The USB keyboard driver in
Linux passes keyboard events to the PS/2 keyboard driver, which passes
them along as standard keyboard events.

Try plugging in your keyboard, then running "dmesg | tail".  What
does it say?  Here's what mine says:

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/2, assigned device number 8
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 4 ports detected
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/2/1, assigned device number 9
input0: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [Chicony  USB TrackPoint Keyboard] on usb2:9.0
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 38
input1,hiddev0: USB HID v1.00 Pointer [Chicony  USB TrackPoint Keyboard] on usb2:9.1
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/2/2, assigned device number 10
input2,hiddev1: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Chicony USB Trackpoint pointing device] on usb2:10.0