[ltp] How?: Trackpoint USB keyboard in linux

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:40:53 -0500

On Thursday 31 October 2002 09:32 am, Boyan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for the suggestion Rob! Now the Trackpoint mouse
> works perfectly, even the 3rd button scroll with the "EmulateWheel" opt=
ion
> in XF86Config. However, it worked only after adding a second InputDevic=
> mouse[1] with protocol imps/2 in the X configuration file.
>
> The keyboard still has no sign of working, although it seem to be
> recognised and reported on the HUB information. USB keyboard is enabled=
 in
> the BIOS and at boottime the numlock flashes for a moment. Then when li=
nux
> starts it is like dead. I wonder if a similar trick of adding a 2nd
> InputDevice keyboard[1] in XF86Config would work? The problem is I do n=
ot
> know what Protocol to use for the USB keyboard and what Option "XkbMode=
l"
> and Option "Device"?

Nah, USB keyboard driver simply replaces the regular keyboard driver, so =
a USB=20
keyboard should work everywhere, in or out of X, and in fact X should not=
=20
even be able to tell its a USB keyboard. Does the keyboard work at the te=
xt=20
console? If not then it won't work in X either...=20

> Regards,
> Boyan
>
> On 30 Oct 2002, Rob Mayoff wrote:
> > +---------- On Oct 30, Boyan said:
> > > Neither mouse, nor keyboard are working. I tried to configure anew =
the
> > > input devices with Sax but to no avail, whatever options I tried. I
> > > hope some of you may have used this thinkpad like keyboard and give=
 me
> > > a hint how to run it.
> >
> > You need to load these modules:
> >
> >     usbcore
> >     usb-uhci
> >     input
> >     hid
> >     keybdev
> >     mousedev
> >
> > The keyboard part will automatically work if you have the right modul=
es
> > loaded. To make the mouse (trackpoint) work in X, you have to tell X =
> > use it. Try this:
> >
> > <http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_=
sing
> >le/XFree86-Second-Mouse.html>
> >
> > If you keep mousedev (and the modules it depends on) loaded all the
> > time, then /dev/input/mice will exist even when you don't have any US=
> > devices plugged in.  This means that X will be able to use the same
> > configuration regardless of whether you have a USB mouse attached.

--=20
Tod G. Harter
Giant Electronic Brain