[ltp] Trying to set up TP560 for debian - SODIMM problem

Kirk Turner-Rustin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:04:25 -0400

FWIW, when upgrading the RAM on my TP365X (RedHat Linux 6.1) to 72MB,
the new memory (64MB SO DIMM) went unrecognized until I booted with a
fully charged battery _and_ the power supply plugged in. (I reseated
the chip three or so times before trying this, so the reseating may have
made a difference too.)

On Thursday 05 September 2002 10:16 pm, linux_thinkpad@lkv.mailshell.com
wrote:
> My TP560 (2640-10U) has been sitting idle for a while until I got my 64MB
> SODIMM today.  I plug it in and fire up the laptop, but it recognizes
> only 40MB total (8 + 32).  I updated the BIOS to v1.20 and I believe I
> followed the instructions (including clicking on "Initialize"), but the
> laptop still maxes out at 40MB.
>
> I checked the 64MB and I'm led to believe it should work.  Well, it does
> say "8Mx64" on a sticker and there are 4 IC's on one side for non-parity.
>
> Is there anything else I should do?  I really want to run a desktop
> environment on the 560, and debian (woody) recommends 64MB minimum.
>
> Thanks.

Kirk Turner-Rustin
Programmer/Analyst
ktrustin@owu.edu