[ltp] T21 /dev/ttyS0

Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:02:11 +0200

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 16:43:14 +0300, Manolis Stamatogiannakis wrote:
> Hi, I have installed gentoo linux on a TP T21.
> There is no /dev/ttyS0 though. I am using devfs.

On Debian, there is a devfsd package. The devfsd is to ensure backward
compatibility. With devfs, the device for the first serial port is
called /dev/tts/0, the devfsd will create a link /dev/ttyS0 that points
to /dev/tts/0. So, either tell your application that it should use
/dev/tts/0 or install devfsd, or both. :-)

> How do I create the serial port device? Did anybody
> gave similar problems with linux on his TP?

The devfsd will do it for you, maybe you should read the
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/devfs/README file.

> The serial driver is bult in the kernel (gentoo-2.4.19-r9).
> Here is the part of the dmesg output:

Where?

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG