[ltp] Using "setserial /dev/ttyS* autoconfig" without root

unlisted linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
23 Sep 2002 07:05:05 -0500

On Sun, 2002-09-22 at 17:51, Kiko Piris wrote:
> In Debian, sudoers file is /etc/sudoers. But, acording to docs, it
> _MUST_ be edited with the command visudo instead of opening it directly.
> Read the manpage.

i HATE visudo.  yep, i read the manpage when i first began using sudo.
yep, i tried visudo when i first began using sudo.  yep, i STILL think
visudo is an utter piece of junk because by default it uses vi, and not
something on the usability level of window's notepad.  (heck, this is a
security application right, where simplicity should be the rule so as to
help reduce/eliminate user error, a major cause of insecurity.)

(now, i prefer emacs over vi, but back then i didn't know either, all i
knew is that i wanted non-root users [my daily-use user account; for
both scripts and interactive use] to execute commands as root without
having to type a password.  but without knowing vi, how intuitive is it
to save a file?  or to even quit the stupid editor?  now you know why as
a newbie i HATED [and still do] visudo.)

read the manpage for visudo.  i don't think it's specific to debian (my
distro), but it says that visudo locks the file against multiple edits,
provides sanity checks, and checks for parse errors.  on a single user
system multiple edits is not a big deal.  the file format for sudoers is
not that complex (a lot easier to learn than the keybindings for vi!),
and if you want a basic sanity check and check for syntax errors, try to
execute sudo ("sudo -l" will be enough) after making an edit to the
file.  believe me, it'll let you know if something is wrong with your
sudoers file. ;-)

and as all good users do: always make backups.  (heck, do a quick "cp
sudoers sudoers.orig" before editing the file.)

i've NEVER successfully used visudo and my sudoers file is just fine
(and i'm personally all the better for it :-).

> If local security is a concern for that system, read the docs carefully.

agreed.  "man sudoers".  and don't let the EBNF scare you.  for
something as simple as you are wanting, you just need to know:

<username> <computer_name> = NOPASSWD: <command>

enough of my rant.  nothing personal (except between visudo and myself
;-).

anyways...
--

PLEASE REQUEST PERMISSION TO REDISTRIBUTE
   AUTHOR'S COMMENTS OR EMAIL ADDRESS.