[ltp] Getting disk to sleep

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at innominate.com
Wed Apr 2 09:19:02 CEST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 08:53:25 +0200, Richard Jelinek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> /proc/sys/vm/bdflush is the place I have played with, I tried with
> YaST2, set hdparm -S...
>
> All to more or less radical values. But still I hear every 5 seconds a
> *clack clack* of the HD. So I suppose, that some process - wouldn't be
> surprised if one of the *Kludge Desktop Environment (KDE)* does some
> HD twiddling.
>
> How do I find out? Fuser didn't help much, in the ps aux or top output
> basically everything is suspicious... ;-)
>
> Is there any more inteligent solution than to incrementally shut
> everything down and looking when disk access stops?

Are you using a journaling filesystem? If not, you could try noflushd.
If you hd still keeps spinning: kill each process one after another and
wait it the hd spins down without this process.

> Legal/Rechtliches:

> you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in
> error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this
> e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the
> material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

> Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese
> E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den
> Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie
> die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

Blah blah...
tino.keitel at innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG
software engineer                                   networking people
tel: +49.30.6392-3308                      http://www.innominate.com/