[ltp] Mwave Problems: Missing tty-ldisc-3 module?

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at centras.lt
Wed Apr 2 10:41:55 CEST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 12:07:31AM -0800, Brandon Philips wrote:
> The modules inserts fine, and the demeaon starts ok, and pon creates the
> neat modem sounds, but right at the point that the connection to my ISP is
> nearly complete I get an error in the console:
> 'modprobe cannot locate tty-ldisc-3'
> what is this?

Either

  alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async

is missing in your /etc/modules.conf, or you do not have ppp_async.o in
/lib/modules/$(uname -r).  Is your kernel compiled with
CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC?

> I am running the stock 2.4.18-p3 kernel, and compiled the module against a
> clean source tree...

In my case that alias line comes from /etc/modutils/ppp, which is
included in the 'ppp' package:

  alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
  alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
  alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
  alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
  alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
  alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
  alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

Marius Gedminas
--
MCSE == Marginal Computer Software Enthusiast