[ltp] TP 600e - High Pitch Noise, and other problems

Brandon Philips brandon at uncompiled.com
Fri Apr 4 14:56:04 CEST 2003

While running my Thinkpad 600e on battery power in Linux I have two
problems...

	*The Harddrive spins up and down without reason (I am running NoFlushd w/
15min)
	*There is a high pitch buzz that emminates from the top left corner of the
laptop near the fan 	output port.

Neither of these problems occur in Windows XP.

I am running KDE 3.11 on Debian Sid current.

In an unrelated question I have 'apt-get install tpctl' and it told me I
must get the thinkpad-modules-x.y.z package for my kernel for tpctl to
work... but the package doesn't seem to exist in Sid anywhere, anyone know
where I can download this package?

Also, I haven't ever experienced this problem before on Linux but the mwaved
script doesn't start the mwavem daemon at startup.  It does however insert
the module and setup the port, upon boot I can run the mwaved script as root
and all is well, this is my first attempt and playing with the Debian boot
scripts by hand is there a step I missed besides placing the script in the
/etc/init.d folder and 'ln -s' that script into rc5.d, rc6.d and rcS.d?

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated