[ltp] OK, flummoxed with Canon A70, hotplug, R32, Debian

Mitchell Gil Maltenfort mmalten at comcast.net
Wed Apr 16 02:35:20 CEST 2003

I took the plunge and bought a Canon PowerShot A70.

I also purchased a lexarmedia (it's what Ritz photo had on hand) compact-flash reader.

And I've been fighting this puppy for about an hour and a half.

I have installed hotplug.  I have installed both the Debian gphoto and gphoto2 packages. I have tried to follow the instructions at www.gphoto.org, even though they were written for a slightly newer version of gphoto than I have.

I have stuck the output of gphoto2 --print-usb-usermap into /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap.

I have installed usbcore, usb-uhci in my /etc/modules.  (usb-ohci has an unresolved error).

I am running 2.4.20, Debian default kernel with testing upgrades, 686 version, and USB itself seems happy. lspci gives me a USB Controller: Intel Corp 82801CA/CAM USB. gphoto2--list-ports finds 1 device called 'usb:' and described as a Universal Serial Bus.

Can we say I'm frustrated?  Hotplug can't find a module to use the camera, and I can't get the computer to recognize that the card reader even exists.

Can someone give me a step by step guide, preferably tailored for cranky idiots, for getting the flash card reader to talk to my laptop?  I've tried the USB port on the left and the USB port in the back -- beats me which is '1' and which is '3' -- and neither works.

Thanks in advance.