[ltp] SIMPLE QUESTIONS

Chris Hoekstra chris at hoekstra.com
Wed Apr 16 18:34:25 CEST 2003

Having just come off of using Win98 on my Thinkpad 770z (PII-366, 128Mb,
8Gb), and running Mandrake 9.1, I would have to say the default
gnome/kde window manager is WAY slower than Win98, but then again, there
are several reasons.

First, and biggest, is that Win98 is a 5 year old operating system,
targeted to 5 year old computers, and tuned for that level of
performance.  Mandrake 9.1, Red Hat 9.0, etc are 2-4 week old operating
systems that are meant to run on the latest and greatest hardware.  So
the default options are very graphically rich yet this slow down the
overall "feel" of how fast the computer is.

Second, as I mentioned a bit, are the default options.  Gradiated title
bars, 3d rounded buttons, fading in/out, transparent menu's, windows,
etc etc.
I changed my theme to a blander yet higher performance one, still using
gnome, and it made a noticable difference.  However, things like the
beefy mozilla 1.4a still take much longer to launch, but again, this is
a modern browser running on old hardware.

The suggestion to use blackbox or another slim window manager is an
interesting one, and is my next todo.  This should make things snap a
little faster, however loading time for applications will still be
almost as long.

Chris