[ltp] Sound on a 770X with Mandrake 9.1

unlisted unlisted at pobox.com
Thu Apr 24 17:21:35 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 07:51, torontodss wrote:
> Problem is when I try and load up AuMix, nothing happens. I mean the app
> doesn't start, looks like it's
> loaded then it just closes without seeing any errors.
> As for KMix, when I load it, it doesn't have any controls what so ever. Just
> a blank window.

you may not be loading the oss(-compatible) mixer controls (which oss is
what aumix wsa designed for).

you might also try using alsamixer, a mixer application specifically for
alsa (not using the oss-mixer interface, though you'll still want that
as oss-based applications will probably need to use it).

in my latest experience getting a desktop to work with 2.4.18/2.4.20 and
alsa 0.9-0beta12/0.9.2, i've had to play with the volume through both
alsamixer and aumix before getting any sound (possibly because some of
the sound levels are only exposed directly through alsa, not through the
oss-compatibility).  probably not your problem, but just an aside.

> What alsa driver should I be using? Currently in my modules.conf I have the
> following:
>
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-cs4232
> above snd-cs4232 snd-pcm-oss
>
> Something wrong here?

if that's all you've got about alsa in your modules.conf, then you're
probably missing something.

see my attached alsa settings from modules.conf.  this was for my 770x
running 2.4.19 and alsa 0.9-0beta12.  some changes might need to be made
(especially with the hardware config, and as alsa has gone through some
changes heading for 1.0 and inclusion into kernel 2.6) in my
modules.conf entries for it to work for you.

for another/official template, see the cs4232 entry in the alsa sound
card database:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=Cirrus+Logic&card=CS4232&chip=CS4232&module=cs4232

> At the boot up it looks like cs4232 is loaded
> correctly no errors.
> If I do a lsmod I see nothing refering to cs4232.

you should probably see something similar to "snd-cs4232".

> ps: I know the sound works, I have a dualboot on this machine and sound in
> XP works correctly.

THERE'S THE PROBLEM!

just kidding. ;-)

anyways...
--

PLEASE REQUEST PERMISSION TO REDISTRIBUTE
   AUTHOR'S COMMENTS OR EMAIL ADDRESS.