[ltp] Sound on a 770X with Mandrake 9.1

Chris Hoekstra chris_hoekstra at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 00:18:23 CEST 2003

I am sorry I missed this thread from the start.  I just went through
this long and painfull project and came across all the same conclusions
on my own.  Here are some things I learned along the way, which some is
a repeat of what has been mentioned here, and some is new:

I had read somewhere that disabling quick boot was the solution to the
problem.  After about 7 hours in total working on this problem, I
finally decided out of a whim to try it, and lo and behold it worked!
Who would have thunk it!  Quickboot affects sound!?!

 From what I have gathered, snd-cs4232 is the ALSA sound module.  cs4232
is the OSS sound driver.  The alsa would never work, regardless of what
I had in my modules.conf file, or all the various versions of the alsa
sound drivers I downloaded and compiled.  So the cs4232 module works
very well and sounds very good, yet people claim the alsa drivers are
the way to go.  Go figure.

Just for referrence, here is my modules.conf file that worked.  This
also fixes the default mixer settings problem that this thread started
out talking about:
# --- BEGIN: Added by CCH. ---
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
synthio=0x501 synthirq=11
# This is an example of an post-install you may want use:
post-install snd amixer set Master 100% unmute;amixer set PCM 100%
unmute; amixer set Aux,1 100% unmute
# --- END: Added by CCH. ---

The sound studdering was a problem for me as well.  I just changed my
/etc/init.d/sound file to unload and reload my module for a quick fix.
It will of course get written over if I upgrade, but easy to put back
in.  This way the sound is fixed on startup and I don't have to manually
unload and reload my sound module to stop the studdering:

In /etc/init.d/sound [Line 52, 53%]:
case $1 in
    start)
    retval=0
    if [ ! -d /proc/asound ];then
        module "Loading sound module" sound || retval=1
        awk '/^((alias)|(probe)) +sound-slot-[0-9]/ {print $2}'
$conf_file | ( \
            while read line; do
                [[ $line = snd-card-* ]] && continue #we do it via alsa
script
                module "Loading sound module" $line || retval=1
            done
        )
        module "Loading midi module"
midi

fi

*    #The following line is a hack to get sound to not skip after
reboot

SOUNDMODULE="cs4232"
    rmmod
$SOUNDMODULE
    modprobe $SOUNDMODULE*

<SNIP>

And last but not least, this also works for the 770z as well, and what I
hear could be extrapolated to the 600E's...

Hope this helps,
Chris H.