[ltp] Thinkpad 240 - My hibernation adventure.

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 25 17:58:41 CEST 2003

I installed Linux (Redhat 9) on a Thinkpad 240 (C400/192M/6G) recently,
and other than getting the machine to wake from hibernation reliably, it
went without much effort.  Here's what I did to get hiberation working on
the 240, in the hopes that it might benefit someone:

1) Create a DOS partition BEFORE the Linux installation (about 210M
will do it) and install a minimal version of DOS.  DOS isn't necessary for
hibernation, but it IS necessary to extract the utility that will create
the hibernation file.

2) Go ahead and finish partitioning the drive and installing Linux.  Once
that's done...

3) Get uttpvhib.exe from IBM's website:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1DSHY-46YQSH

Copy the file to your DOS partition, and reboot into DOS.  Run the file
and extract the utility to a floppy disk.

4) Boot from a floppy, and use it to create a hibernation FILE on your
hard disk.

5) Hibernation under Linux will now work, but you might find that the hard
disk is a little ... confused ... when you try to wake the machine up.
It may, in fact, lock up so hard that you've either got to hit the reset
button or take the battery/AC adapter out.  If this happens to you,
edit/etc/sysconfig/apmd and uncomment the HDPARM_AT lines. The machine
should now wake the next time you hibernate.

# Don't activate the following two lines unless you're getting
# "hda: lost interrupt" after returning from a suspend to disk.
HDPARM_AT_SUSPEND="-q -X0 -q -c0 -q -d0 -q -u0 -q -S0"
HDPARM_AT_RESUME="-q -X66 -q -c1 -q -d1 -q -u1 -q -S30"

... and here I was thinking this machine was EASIER than my 770 when sound
was autodetected. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!