[ltp] Redhat 9.0 on A22p

Tim Turkington timothy.turkington at duke.edu
Fri Apr 25 22:08:45 CEST 2003

Last weekend I installed Redhat 9.0 on my A22p.  It went pretty well.

I had previously been using RH 7.2.  I did this installation very
cautiously, wanting to have ability to revert  to 7.2 if some key
feature didn't work.  I freed up some space on the hard disk and let the 9.0
installation use that space, rather than the old linux partitions, so I could
easily revert if necessary, and also, so I could easily copy files from the
old partitions to the new.  I also have Win98 on there.

"Everything" worked without any tweaking:
 Display at 1600x1200
 Hibernate
 Suspend
 Network
 Sound
 CDRW/DVD (this was a recent hardware upgrade)
  (using xcdroast for CDRW, mplayer and ogle for DVD viewing)
 USB mouse (I used to manually add an entry in XF86config; one appeared
   magically this time, even though the USB mouse wasn't hooked up at
   X configuration time.)

I removed lm_sensors first thing, not knowing whether or not it could
be harmful for this hardware/software combo.

I did install the ati.2 driver from gatos.sourceforge.net, which
was necessary to get Xvideo (and therefore decent movie playing)
to work.  (Without it, the system thinks everything is okay, but
movies are stretched out double-wide in the correct size frame,
so you miss what's on the right half.)  They have binaries for RH9.0,
although the first page you read doesn't indicate that.

As has been pointed out, you need to go to 16-bit graphics to
get 3D for a 1600x1200 with 16 MB.  Not something I use much, though.

I also have working:
  Syncing with Sony Clie T415 PDA (USB)
  Wireless with Linksys WPC11 pcmcia card
    precompiled wlan-ng drivers RPMs for RH9.0 at
    prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us
  USB memory mounted as "SCSI" drive
  Win4Lin (software that allows Windows to run on top of linux)
    They have instructions on keeping Windows stuff intact during a
    Linux upgrade.

Curiosity:
  When I first installed Linux, I lost the ability to hibernate and suspend
  in Windows 98.  (Linux could do both.)  This didn't matter too much, and I
  saw something on the IBM web indicating that there would be problems with
  Windows 98 doing this if you were using a boot loader.  So I never worried
  about it.   Now, hibernate and suspend work again in Windows 98!???

Still NOT working:
  Running the display at something other than 1600x1200 or 1280x1024.
    This machine does very nice display interpolation, so lower resolution
    modes really don't look too bad, and running with an LCD projector
    is more predictable when using 1024x768 resolution.
    I could run at any resolution with XFree86 4.1, but then it went away with
    4.2  I was hoping it would come back with 4.3

RedHat 9.0
 Every time I install a new Redhat, the default window manager with
 Gnome changes.  From enlightenment to sawfish was an improvement.  From
 sawfish to metacity you loose a lot.  Even getting it to use something
 other then metacity was tricky.