[ltp] I need suggest

Michelle Klein-Hass bosslady at msgeek.com
Sat Apr 26 02:55:41 CEST 2003

I strongly disagree. Mandrake is way too big and bulky to work on a machine
like that. If you have a 365X, which does NOT have a CD-ROM drive, you are
very limited as far as what you can and cannot use. I suggest that wherever
you are, you need a nice fat broadband connection. Then use a VERY BASIC
network card...NE2000 compatibles are best...to do a network install. The six
Debian install floppies will be just the ticket. There is also a way of doing
a network install of FreeBSD, which might be even better for this machine.

If you have a 365XD, with a CD-ROM and an external floppy, you will have
better luck. However, do NOT put a heavyweight distro on there by any means.
Again, Debian, FreeBSD and some of the more specialized small-footprint
distros like Peanut Linux would be ideal. The stock IBM CD-ROM in the 365XD
will indeed boot an El Torito CD-ROM.

Another suggestion: get a 64MB EDO SO-DIMM to boost the RAM to 72MB. There is
information on precisely which SO-DIMM you need out there, just not from
official IBM sources or from places like Crucial. It's an "unsupported
upgrade" and only certain SO-DIMMs with a certain configuration will work. I
am sorry to be vague but the friend of mine who went through the process of
de-assimilating a 365X that used to belong to me has all the info. I will get
with him and maybe we will both write a document for inclusion on the
linux-thinkpad.org site. At the very least, I will post the info here.

-.\\<-H-
"Been there, done that, got the T-shirt."

On Friday 25 April 2003 11:36 am, olusola omosebi wrote:
> Mandrake Linux
>

> From: "Rodrigo Canelo" <rodrigo_canelo at hotmail.com>

> >To: <linux-thinkpad at linux-thinkpad.org>
> >Subject: [ltp] I need suggest
> >Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:16:55 -0400
> >
> >Hello
> >
> >      I have a Ibm 365x with 40Mb Ram 1Gb Hard disk, wath version of linix
> >you should.
> >
> >thanks
> >
> >Rodrigo Canelo
>
> From Chile

Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273
Spam me and you pay! I'm in California! http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html
Brought to you by Linux, KDE and KMail...try it, you'll like it!