Fwd: Re: [ltp] I need suggest

Michelle Klein-Hass bosslady at msgeek.com
Sun Apr 27 22:52:40 CEST 2003

Another suggestion: get a 64MB EDO SO-DIMM to boost the RAM to 72MB. There is
information on precisely which SO-DIMM you need out there, just not from
official IBM sources or from places like Crucial. It's an "unsupported
upgrade" and only certain SO-DIMMs with a certain configuration will work. I
am sorry to be vague but the friend of mine who went through the process of
de-assimilating a 365X that used to belong to me has all the info. I will get
with him and maybe we will both write a document for inclusion on the
linux-thinkpad.org site. At the very least, I will post the info here.

OK, got in touch with my Linux guru friend Chad Page, and here is the info on
which specific 64MB EDO SO-DIMMs will work in a 365-series Thinkpad:

> anyway, you want 4x16 64Mb chips - instead of 8x8 on those
> so-dimms. there's a kingston module (KTM/760E) which should always have
> this.

There you go...happy Linux on 365 funtime. Two other gotchas about the 365X
and 365XD: one is that the video sub-system is really, really funky and you
might have to force-feed XFree86 a working configuration file and force
booting to Runlevel 5 to get it to work. Chad managed to get around the known
bug about dropping from X to console and returning, but he was light on
details about how he did that. Second gotcha: no L2 cache. There will be
times when everything will feel dog-slow on this machine, no matter how many
enhancements you've done to it. You will want to run a low-end window manager
like IceWM instead of KDE or GNOME. This is DEFINITELY not a candidate for
OpenOffice.Org...you will want to go with lighter-weight apps like Abiword
and Gnumeric and so on instead of OO.o.

Hope this helps,
-.\\<-H-
--