[ltp] Disabling mwaven modem in 770z

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 30 21:35:32 CEST 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:26:20 -0700 (MST)
"M. Leo Cooper" <thegrendel at theriver.com> wrote:

> Just picked up a 770Z tp on eBay. I've got everything working except the
> mwaven modem.

PS2.EXE (from IBM's web site - you'll need either a DOS partition or a
DOS boot disk) should be able to disable the mwave. But since you can't
really take the modem out without leaving a gaping hole in your Thinkpad,
why not install the mwave driver and not have to carry around the extra
card? :) If you're using a relatively modern distribution, the mwave
kernel module should already be provided and installing the rest of the
driver is simple.

> I did download the mwavem driver and I suppose if I install that and
> fiddle with it I could get the modem working.

Not much fiddling is required.  Install as directed, use modem.  Modify
apm script if you like to suspend/hibernate, as the mwave needs to be
reset after a suspend.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!