[ltp] My T21 is haunted

RMAgency linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:18:46 -0500

Hi. Newbie here.

My T21 is haunted.=20

I'm running Mandrake 9.0 on this machine, which I've had for about a mont=
h.=20
Linux installed like a dream, without a glitch. But it has two problems. =
One=20
is failure to reawaken from suspend (which I've seen discussed here and w=
hich=20
I won't ask about now). The other involves my "ghost."

About once a day, the system locks up so that only the power button will=20
function. If I use the power button to restart the system, all is fine. B=
ut=20
when I use it to halt the computer ... then sometime after that the compu=
ter=20
turns itself back on.

When I halt the system after a lockup, I always wait to make sure it has=20
completely halted -- all lights except the AC light off, all sounds of=20
operation ceased -- before I close the lid and put it away. But four or f=
ive=20
times now I've awakened in the morning to discover my computer has turned=
=20
itself back on in the night, and this morning I heard it restart itself a=
bout=20
15 minutes after I shut it off.

It never turns itself on in any other circumstances -- only after a locku=
p and=20
forced halt.

Any idea what's going on and what I can do about it?

Emily