[ltp] My T21 is haunted

Rob Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:00:11 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "RMAgency" <RMAgency@bigfoot.com>

Hi. Newbie here.

My T21 is haunted.
The other involves my "ghost."

About once a day, the system locks up so that only the power button will
function. If I use the power button to restart the system, all is fine. But
when I use it to halt the computer ... then sometime after that the computer
turns itself back on.

When I halt the system after a lockup, I always wait to make sure it has
completely halted -- all lights except the AC light off, all sounds of
operation ceased -- before I close the lid and put it away. But four or five
times now I've awakened in the morning to discover my computer has turned
itself back on in the night, and this morning I heard it restart itself
about
15 minutes after I shut it off.

It never turns itself on in any other circumstances -- only after a lockup
and
forced halt.

Any idea what's going on and what I can do about it?

Emily
--

I can't tell you exactly why it is happening, but I can offer you a
workaround until you get that answer. Next time you do a "halt", once it

Rob Smith

"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing."
-- Werner von Braun