[ltp] New To List - blank console

j_f_clark linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:59:00 -0400

At 07:38 PM 8/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>At 06:13 PM 8/9/2003 -0400, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
>
>>You mention KDE - do you mean you log in to other window managers, and
>>it doesn't give you a blank screen when you log out?
>
>Bret -
>
>I only have KDE installed right now. Until I get a larger HD in the
>Thinkpad everything is a tight squeeze - 6 gig is really too small for
>dual booting. I should try Gnome, though, just to see how it acts. I'll
>have to pull KDE off, though, to make room for Gnome.
>
>>When you start the machine, up until you see the graphical login - do
>>you see text messages scrolling up reporting the boot process?
>
>Yes, I do, and then KDE seems to run fine - it's just when I exit KDE that
>I have a problem. The boot process and KDE launch do fine whether I boot
>at runlevel 5 or boot at runlevel 3 and run startx. I though the machine
>was locking up after exiting KDE, but it is the video card failing to
>switch modes and leaving me with a blank console. I've found that after
>logging out of KDE I can wait for the HD to stop, and can then telinit 0
>or 6, and the machine halts or reboots fine. It could easily be that I
>don't have the video configured quite right. Based on what I've seen on
>the web I set it up for Silicon Motion LynxEM+, generic 1024x768 LCD, 4
>meg RAM, no clockchip setting, 16 bit 1024x768 mode.
>
>Wait a minute - I missed this because the lines flash by on the console so
>quickly. When I'm at runlevel 3 and then telinit 5, wine fails. Anyone
>have any ideas for this new user?

Dan:
You might want to look into one of the other window managers -- TWM (Tab or
Tom's Window Manager) should have been included in your distro.  IceWM and
FVWM are a couple of others.  My RH9 documentation says that TWM is the
fallback.  It provides essential features using less than 1 Mbyte for its
footprint.

Joe Clark