[ltp] New To List - blank console

Dale H. Cook linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 09 Aug 2003 19:38:51 -0400

At 06:13 PM 8/9/2003 -0400, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:

>You mention KDE - do you mean you log in to other window managers, and
>it doesn't give you a blank screen when you log out?

Bret -

I only have KDE installed right now. Until I get a larger HD in the
Thinkpad everything is a tight squeeze - 6 gig is really too small for dual
booting. I should try Gnome, though, just to see how it acts. I'll have to
pull KDE off, though, to make room for Gnome.

>When you start the machine, up until you see the graphical login - do
>you see text messages scrolling up reporting the boot process?

Yes, I do, and then KDE seems to run fine - it's just when I exit KDE that
I have a problem. The boot process and KDE launch do fine whether I boot at
runlevel 5 or boot at runlevel 3 and run startx. I though the machine was
locking up after exiting KDE, but it is the video card failing to switch
modes and leaving me with a blank console. I've found that after logging
out of KDE I can wait for the HD to stop, and can then telinit 0 or 6, and
the machine halts or reboots fine. It could easily be that I don't have the
video configured quite right. Based on what I've seen on the web I set it
up for Silicon Motion LynxEM+, generic 1024x768 LCD, 4 meg RAM, no
clockchip setting, 16 bit 1024x768 mode.

Wait a minute - I missed this because the lines flash by on the console so
quickly. When I'm at runlevel 3 and then telinit 5, wine fails. Anyone have
any ideas for this new user?

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, WWWR Roanoke VA, WCQV Moneta VA, WKBA WZZI
Vinton VA, WKPA WLNI WZZU Lynchburg VA, WMNA / WMNA-FM Gretna VA
Star City Antique Radios and Test Equipment:
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/oldcolony/radios/radtop.html