[ltp] Hibernation problem - T23

Ted Johansson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:22:58 +0200

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Syd Hancock wrote:<br>
    <pre wrap="">the boot floppy will allow you to create a Hibernation Partition
on your hard drive (must be a primary partition therefore you
need space in your mbr partition table!!!) and sets up the bios
to use that partition to store the hibernation file when you hit
Fn-F12.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I have a T23 and have used the floppy image from IBM Support site to
create a large Hibernation file.

The problem I have is that after hibernation, the display on the
virtual consoles (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F1) is corrupted. Is there a
solution for this or a way to reset the text display? The X-windows
display on Ctrl-Alt-F7 is not corrupted.

TIA
Syd Hancock
Norwich UK
  </pre>
Often with X, you must switch to a text console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) before
suspending/hibernating. This is the situation with T21 and Mandrake 9.0
and I will soon also explore it with a T23 I get tomorrow.<br>
During the spring, I worked hard on getting the T21 to
suspend/hibernate correctly. Three things were necessary but then
everything worked fine:<br>
1. Switch to text console,<br>
2. eject/unload pcmcia card (wlan, should not be necessary on the T23)
when hibernating (some people say this is a bug in the system),<br>
3. change sound driver from alsa to OSS (driver supplied with kernel).
It is works with alsa if you log out and restart the sound deamon as
part of the wake-up procedure, but if logged into kde, the panel
crashes otherwise. <br>
I made two short commands for this and put on the desktop for easy
clicking (do not use the F-keys).<br>
suspend = chvt 1;apm -s<br>
hibernate = cardctl suspend;chvt 1;tpctl -H<br>
The last command use the tpctl utilities to be installed.<br>
Sleep&nbsp; (F3) works OK. I think the only thing it does is to turn off the
back-light and stop the HD.<br>
Regards,&nbsp;&nbsp; Ted<br>