[ltp] Re: Best ways of maximizing battery life on a T30 under Linux?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:20:53 +1000

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Greg Macek wrote:
> In everyone's experience here, what are some things I can be doing to
> help maximize my battery life while running Linux on my T30 notebook?

[...]

> Screen is set to not be at same brightness on battery.

That is a good start.

I have gotten a fairly good improvement in system life by installing the
'speedfreq' package[1], which sets the SpeedStep state depending on the
CPU load.

My machine is now in 'powersave' almost all the time, and my battery
life is up substantially.

Other packages such as 'cpudyn' address the same issue.

     Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  <http://www.goop.org/~jeremy/speedfreq/>

--
No matter how hard you push and no matter what the priority, you can't
increase the speed of light.