[ltp] about iptables ??

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:58:37 -0400

What are you trying to accomplish?

If you want to do something really simple like maybe just IP masq another
machine behind yours the best way is to set things up by hand. There is an IP
MASQ howto (sorry I seem to have lost the bookmark but its pretty easy to
find). The general procedure is to issue your iptables commands (use
iptables, not ipchains generally speaking) and then do an

iptables-save >/etc/sysconfig/iptables

then in /etc/sysctl.conf set net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

and reboot.

I don't know of a GUI that gives you access to these settings.

If you want to set up something more complex then I would go with a
higher-level tool. There are a few tools available for setting up packet
filtering/basic firewall like shorewall (which is pretty high end really for
most people).

If you need serious firewalling, I'd go with something besides MDK though, its
a good general purpose distro but not really optimum for this kind of thing.
Smoothwall kicks ass and its MUCH easier to manage.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain