[ltp] T21 sound & Gnomemeeting

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
31 Aug 2003 00:40:09 -0400

I'm trying to use Gnomemeeting.  Camera (3Com HomeConnect USB) is fine
(although I'd be happy to hear any comments, info, etc).

Sound is a problem.  I get sound out through the speakers just fine
booting KDE, etc.  I've never tried using the microphone before (in
GNU/Linux).

The problem is with Gnomemeeting running, I hear repetitive noise.  When
the other party speaks, the noise gets louder and changes in quality - I
can imaging it's a scrambled version of what he's saying, but I couldn't
prove it except for the timing.  He hears what I say just fine - so my
microphone seems to be ok.

So, system sounds, audio CDs play just fine.  So far, it's just when I
try to listen via Gnomemeeting that I get scrambled (chopped up?) sound.

My distro is Debian Woody.  Kernel is custom 2.4.21 (Debian default is
no "experimental" so parallel port doesn't support ECP, so I
recompile).  Sound is via CS46xx and ac97_codec modules.  I'm not
committed to it - I'd be happy to hear what a working T21 is using.

Cheers,
Bret
--
bwaldow at alum dot mit dot edu