[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #212 - 5 msgs

John Ackermann N8UR linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 08:50:15 -0400

Yesterday I wrote:

> Hi --
>
> I'm having problems with PCMCIA on a Thinkpad R40.  I'm using kernel
> 2.4.22  in a Debian unstable environment.
>
> The problem seems to be with interrupt assignment.  Any card that I plug
> in  shows "IRQ 0" and the interfaces don't seem to like that.  I've tried
> three  different cards (Orinoco wireless, Zoom modem, and National
> Instruments  PCMCIA-GPIB, which is the one I'm really trying to get
> working).

Today's digest showed several helpful responses; thanks, everyone.  I did
solve the problem, but in a different way than anyone here suggested.
While googling around I found a reference to a reference that suggested the
kernel needed to have ISA bus support turned on in order to use 16 bit
cards, which is apparently what mine all are.  So, a recompile with ISA
support turned on seems to have solved the problem for me.  I'm not sure if
the other solutions suggested accomplish the same thing, or if there are
different issues going on, but wanted to pass this possible solution on to
the gang.

Thanks,

John