[ltp] 600E's screen turns on red, then goes really dark

Rob Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:19:56 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Asheesh Laroia" <linux-thinkpad@asheeshenterprises.com>
To: <linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 5:33 PM
Subject: [ltp] 600E's screen turns on red, then goes really dark

> This is mildly off-topic, but I hope some of you can provie some insight!
>
> My roommate just bought a ThinkPad 600E.  When he turned it on a week ago,
> the screen would turn on at normal brightness, adjustable by the slider
> thing under the screen, but it would have a red tint that would go away
> after a few seconds.
>
> After this weekend, the laptop's screen now starts up, flickering red and
> really-dark, and then settles on really-dark.  One can repeat the
> flickering process by pressing the switch-to-external-monitor button,
> Fn-F7.  (There's no external monitor attached, so it goes right back to
> the LCD.)
>
> So the screen is unreadably dark, and flickers strangely.  What hope do I
> have?
>
> Thank you all very much.
>
> -- Asheesh Laroia.

Have you tried attaching an external monitor to it? I would suggest doing
this. If the proplem remains when viewed through the monitor, then the video
board is bad. If you view the screen normally through the monitor, then the
display is bad. You can find replacement screens through eBay, but seeing as
he just got the machine, I would go back to the seller and ask for
assistance.

Rob Smith

http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=LWIK-3T4LVZ