[ltp] Switching Between Networks - Problem

Heiko Rosemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 19:04:37 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Rob Smith wrote:
[resolv.conf and other problems]
> In the meantime, I checked another Linux box, and the only entries were the
> machine's host name and the default gateway, so I'm guessing that this
> doesn't matter all that much.

resolv.conf should contain your domain name (search your.domain) and your
nameserver(s) (nameserver a.b.c.d)

It's the configuration for the DNS resolver - when you try to resolv i.e.
www.google.de, it first asks the nameserver mentioned for the IP, then it
adds the your.domain from the search statement and asks the nameserver
again, if the first one didn't succeed. With this, if you are on
your own network, say smith.internet.com and have the machines
thinkpad.smith.internet.com and desktop.smith.internet.com and enter search
smith.internet.com in your resolv.conf, you can do a query for desktop, the
resolver adds smith.internet.com and so you get the IP for
desktop.smith.internet.com.

Hope this clarifies things at least a little :-)

Heiko