[ltp] 770Z: Lockup problem solved

M. Leo Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:16:15 -0700 (MST)

A couple of months back, several people here reported lockup and freeze-up
problems with various models Thinkpads, including 770s.

Usually the computer would freeze totally, with no keyboard response.
Sometimes the caps lock symbol would come on in the LCD strip. In fact, this
is what happened with my 770Z. About once a week, it would lock up like this.

Someone pointed out that it could be a memory problem. Now, I had recalled
reading that the 770 TPs require 66 Mhz DIMMs, and that any other kind could
cause problems. So, I looked at the two installed DIMMs. One was 66 Mhz and
the other had different markings. I just happened to have another couple of
DIMMs available, and I installed a matched pair of 66 Mhz ones, both from the
same manufacturer, even.

Since doing that, about six weeks ago, I haven't had a single lockup. Problem
solved?

Back in the olden days, you had to carefully match up memory chips and/or
SIMMs for the now-ancient desktop motherboards. Looks like there's a similar
issue with certain TP models.