[ltp] Fedora/2.4.22/wireless update

Tue, 2 Dec 2003 20:16:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Fabrice Bellet wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:58:03AM +0000, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> > Sometimes when I run bcard once booted, the whole system locks up
> > (the light for Caps Lock goes on and the system is unresponsive),
> > sometimes it takes and sometimes not.  If I boot into single user and
> > try and bcard, nothing happens, which is presumably why it doesn't
> > work at boot time.  I can't for the life of me work out why this
> > usually works on full bootup, but not single user/boot-time.
> >
> > Has anyone managed to successfully enable your Cisco miniPCI at boot
> > time with the Cisco software in Fedora?
>
> kernel and kernel modules in Fedora need to be compiled with gcc32.
> I experienced that using gcc (3.3.2) to compile mpi350.c caused a system
> lockup when running bcard. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for this advice Fabrice: it hadn't occurred to me to
use gcc32 for this, even though I hear it's necessary to compile the
kernel on Fedora!  It exactly fixed my problem.

For anyone else wanting to use the Cisco mpi350 driver for the wireless
mini-PCI in Fedora, if you like me need Ad-Hoc mode, you have to edit
the kpciinstall script:

#       CC=cc
        CC=gcc32

in the function fixrh70().  You'll know you've done it right if you
get no compilation warnings when you run the script.  The bcard
utility then works at boot time.

Fabrice, I notice from your web page that you've decided to order the
IBM a/b/g card instead of the Cisco.  Me too :)