[ltp] Re: Turn off IrDA Scanning?

Wed, 3 Dec 2003 21:53:13 +0200

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:04:09AM +0000, Nils Weisensee wrote:
> THanks for the hint regarding "sysctl -w net.irda.discovery=3D0", Marius.=
 It=20
> works well. Could you tell me where I have to put this command in order t=
o=20
> turn off IrDA-Discovery everytime I boot?

Oh, there are lots of ways.  Which distribution do you use?

In Debian, the irda-common package asks you during its installation
whether you want discovery enabled.  You can later change that in
/etc/irda.conf by setting DISCOVERY to -s (to enable it) or to an empty
string (to disable).  This is the first place I'd look.

Then you could grep for calls of irattach in the initscripts (in
/etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d) and see whether discovery is configurable or
not (i.e. is -s passed unconditionally or not), and if it is, how.

As a last resort you could just create a new initscript (or add a couple
of lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local if your distro has one).

For other sysctls you could also add that value to /etc/sysctl.conf, but
this might not work in this instance.  It all depends on the relative
order of init scripts, i.e. if irattach is started after sysctls were
set, it would just reenable the discovery.

> Can I make this a permanent kernel=20
> parameter somehow?

AFAIU the kernel starts with discovery disabled, but helpful
distribution init scripts that call irattach may enable it.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--=20
"...the only place for 63,000 bugs is a rain forest"

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb--