[ltp] Re: Turn off IrDA Scanning?

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 07:47:50 -0500

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 2:53 pm, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> For other sysctls you could also add that value to /etc/sysctl.conf, but
> this might not work in this instance.  It all depends on the relative
> order of init scripts, i.e. if irattach is started after sysctls were
> set, it would just reenable the discovery.

As far as I know /etc/sysctl.conf is generally processed right out of the
master init script

[tharter@snake rc.d]$ grep sysctl.conf *
rc.sysinit:action "Configuring kernel parameters: " sysctl -e -p
/etc/sysctl.conf

At least on Mandrake it happens EARLY in the boot sequence, just after things
like devfs initializes and stuff like that, so any normal service
initializations will (logically enough) override it. My guess would be that
on Mandrake/Red Hat and probably SuSe that something in /etc/sysconfig
controls irda configuration. Read the /etc/init.d/irda script, it should
source something out of /etc/sysconfig early on to find those options.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain