[ltp] hibernation - PhoenixBIOS (save2dsk.bin) vs swsusp, and ACPI/APM

Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:28:44 +0100

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 18:21:18 +0100, André Wyrwa wrote:
> Hei,
>
> > The first thing I was wondering is what is the difference between
> > the PhoenixBIOS and swsusp methods with regards to BIOS
> > integration.
>
> I'm interested in the same point. swsusp seems a quite nice
> alternative to the bios stuff, since it has some little advantages
> like:
> - possibility of switching between hibernated win and linux
>   (having separate hibernation images for them)
> - utilization of swap disk
>   (which has to be quite large then as a drawback)
> - hibernation process is cancelable
> - it can utilize bootsplash (what a nice gimmic!!)

I also heard that swsusp ist faster than BIOs hibernation. Maybe the
kernel knows that memory is in use only saves the relevant memory pages
to disk, which is impossible with on the BIOS level.

Regards,
Tino