[ltp] System bell volume

Rob Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:05:50 -0600

----- Original Message -----
> Uwe Walter wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to lower the volume / mute the system bell without
> > affecting the complete hardware volume (as it is when using the hardware
> > volume buttons) on a T40?
>>
> Jon Solberg replied:
>
> Is "xset b off" what you're looking for?

 How about "xset b low"? Seriously, is there a way to lower the volume
without completely shutting off the warnings? As a Linux newbie, there have
been a couple of times when I was thankful for those beeps.

As a side note, I still don't have sound working on my laptop (a 600E w/SuSE
9.0 Pro) yet I hear the beeps. How is this happening that Linux knows the
beep, but not the music?

Rob Smith