[ltp] System bell volume

Michael Hagemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:36:30 +0100

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:05:50 -0600 Rob Smith wrote:

> As a side note, I still don't have sound working on my laptop (a 600E w/SuSE
> 9.0 Pro) yet I hear the beeps. How is this happening that Linux knows the
> beep, but not the music?

It's two different devices.  The beep device is the "pc-speaker", the
"sound" device is the soundcard (crystal space cs4237b in the tp600e
case).

The only way I know to adjust the pc-speaker volume is to use the
Fn-PgUp/Dn keys.  There are also small speaker symbols on the key caps.

As to the sound issue:  are you getting error messages if you play a
song in, say, xmms?

If not, try to start alsamixer and adjust the volume (Cursor-Up) and
un-mute the channels ("m" IIRC).

If you do get errors, your sound card is probably not installed
correctly.  Try a manual configuration using the following:
  http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm#secsnd
(uncomment the "snd-cs4236" alias...)

hth,
michael