[ltp] Linux, kernel 2.4.22-ac4/2.4.23 and IRDA

Steven Haigh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 06:27:36 +1100

Hmmmm... ok... so I've remapped some stuff using ps2.exe...

Now I have:
[root@localhost etc]# findchip -v
reg=0x011
Found NSC PC87338 Controller at 0x2e, DevID=0x0b, Rev. 2
    SIR Base 0x2f8, FIR Base 0x2f8
    IRQ = 5, DMA = 3
    Enabled: no, Suspended: no
    UART compatible: yes
    Half duplex delay = 0 us

No sure why it still says that 'Enabled: no' - I enabled it using
ps2.exe - maybe something in the kernel is disabling it? Anyhow, the
serial port is on COM1 with the normal IRQ, modem is on COM4 with normal
settings, and IR is now on COM2 with IRQ5... All seems to look ok here:

[root@localhost etc]# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:      54272          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1639          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:        600          XT-PIC  orinoco_cs
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 11:        533          XT-PIC  cs46xx, Texas Instruments PCI1450,
Texas Instruments PCI1450 (#2), usb-uhci
 12:      12406          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:      10362          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:       3651          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

in /etc/modules.conf, I've put:
options nsc-ircc io=0x2f8 irq=5 dma=3 dongle_id=0x09

however, when I insmod nsc-ircc, I still get the following in the
syslog:
Dec 12 06:23:13 localhost kernel: nsc-ircc, Found chip at base=0x02e
Dec 12 06:23:13 localhost kernel: nsc-ircc, Wrong chip version ff

Do I need to run tpctl to enable the IR port in linux? or does the
'Enabled: no' mean something else with the findchip program?

I don't really care about high-speed usage... I'm attempting to sync my
mobile phone addressbook etc with Evolution over the IR port, so 115200
is fine. Does this mean I only need irtty? something else?

I haven't really been able to find a straight forward guide into doing
this, so I'm patching pieces together from various sources (ie google
searches) so I apologise if I have some basic concept wrong..

--
Signed,
Steven Haigh

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
I am root. If you see me laughing, you better have a backup.Default