[ltp] T22 dvd, cd, & mp3 playback

Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:21:14 +0100

Hi,

> I've read a few reports of problems with S3 video and xv on the mplayer
> list.  I've read that there's no 3D support for S3 but I'd like to have
> excellent dvd playback without any tearing or jitteryness and was
> hoping for any positive or negative reports from T22 owners.
>
> Is the T22 running linux up to playing dvds and music well?

I own a T23, which has a faster processor and faster system bus, more
mem and stuff, but the same S3 SuperSavage.

And i can tell you that mplayer plays video through xv as soft as a
piece of butter melting in the sun, at least as long as you don't fumble
around with X windows at the same time...but that's a general X problem.

However, advantage of the Radeon in the T30 is that it is supported by
mplayers vidix driver, which is even better than xv and makes you able
to play without running X at all.

On the sound side i always envied the T21/22 owners, 'cause the CS46xx
seems to be better supported than the CS4299. From what I've heard, the
alsa drivers work great.

Andre.