[ltp] Cisco Aironet 350 Mini PCI on an R40 running SuSE 9

Ivarsson, Torbjorn (T) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:48:06 -0600

Well, you could always download the program (search Google) and try it. The if* commands are scripts that are run, on Mandrake they are in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts (I believe). Those scripts should invoke some command that get the IP address from the AP. Look into those scripts and you may find another command than dhclient.

> > Do you get any error messages when you "can't connect"? The
> > problem I had was that my firewall didn't allow me to reach
> > any DNS servers or any internet connections for that matter.
>
> No error messages... if I try to ping my router I get a "no
> connection" sor something of that sort.
>
> Are you speaking of your Router's firewall, or the firewall on
> your thinkpad?  I guess I have no idea whether SuSE 9 is running
> a firewall by default or not... I haven't found a GUI
> configurator... but I could see how it might have eth1 locked
> down (since it didn't exist when I installed).

That's what happened to me, eth0 worked, but eth1 didn't. I couldn't even ping other computers under that router (possibly due to blocked lo interface). I don't know how SuSE works, but it'll use iptables as the firewall for Linux (if your router has a firewall you shouldn't have to run one in Linux - I believe).

There are interfaces to configure iptables, such as Shorewall and Guarddog. If you want to remove the firewall, do the following:
	iptables --flush
	iptables --delete-chain

If you can connect to the internet after this, you probably have a firewall-configuration issue. AFAIK: if you don't have a firewall and your card has an IP address, then you should have connectivity.

> Any ideas?

Honestly, I don't really know anything about Linux and its configuration possibilities... But I'm an happy amatuer who likes to experiment - though it can be frustrating when it doesn't work.

BTW: try not to use RichText or HTML when composing messages to this list.

T.