[ltp] Cisco Aironet 350 Mini PCI on an R40 running SuSE 9

Mike Evans linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:17:35 -0700

--------------030608050708070901040600

Ivarsson, Torbjorn (T) wrote

>>...nothing... it didn't grab an IP from my AP, but it does see it
>>(displays the AP's MAC) and has decent signal strength.  The man
>>page for iwconfig doesn't say anything about 'iwconfig eth1
>> channel 11' so I didn't make that change, but perhaps that's
>>my problem?  My AP is on channel 11--guessing the default would be 1?
>>

>I believe you shouldn't have to specify the channel, the essid should be enough... And if you see the AP's MAC, then... there you go.
>
>I have to make the card request an IP from the AP by using the command:
>	dhclient

My dist doesn't have dhclient, so I've been using ifdown and ifup...
they work with eth0 and on eth1 (for grabbing an IP only) at work.

>Do you get any error messages when you "can't connect"? The problem I had was that my firewall didn't allow me to reach any DNS servers or any internet connections for that matter.
>
>T.

No error messages... if I try to ping my router I get a "no connection"
sor something of that sort.

Are you speaking of your Router's firewall, or the firewall on your
thinkpad?  I guess I have no idea whether SuSE 9 is running a firewall
by default or not... I haven't found a GUI configurator... but I could
see how it might have eth1 locked down (since it didn't exist when I
installed).

Any ideas?

--------------030608050708070901040600

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Ivarsson, Torbjorn (T) wrote
 cite="midB8D764EEF0FACB4B887EBDB3565CAAB30ABAAD9B@il0015exch003u.ih.lucent.com"
 type="cite">
    <pre wrap="">...nothing... it didn't grab an IP from my AP, but it does see it
(displays the AP's MAC) and has decent signal strength.  The man
page for iwconfig doesn't say anything about 'iwconfig eth1
 channel 11' so I didn't make that change, but perhaps that's
my problem?  My AP is on channel 11--guessing the default would be 1?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I believe you shouldn't have to specify the channel, the essid should be enough... And if you see the AP's MAC, then... there you go.

I have to make the card request an IP from the AP by using the command:
	dhclient

  </pre>
My dist doesn't have dhclient, so I've been using ifdown and ifup...
they work with eth0 and on eth1 (for grabbing an IP only) at work.<br>
 cite="midB8D764EEF0FACB4B887EBDB3565CAAB30ABAAD9B@il0015exch003u.ih.lucent.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Do you get any error messages when you "can't connect"? The problem I had was that my firewall didn't allow me to reach any DNS servers or any internet connections for that matter.

T.
  </pre>
No error messages... if I try to ping my router I get a "no connection"
sor something of that sort.<br>
Are you speaking of your Router's firewall, or the firewall on your
thinkpad?&nbsp; I guess I have no idea whether SuSE 9 is running a firewall
by default or not... I haven't found a GUI configurator... but I could
see how it might have eth1 locked down (since it didn't exist when I
installed).<br>
Any ideas?<br>

--------------030608050708070901040600--