[ltp] Cisco Aironet 350 Mini PCI on an R40 running SuSE 9

Carl Nygard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 06:22:57 -0500

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 08:45, Mike Evans wrote:
> Carl Nygard wrote:
>
> >netstat -r
> >
> >You should see a default route pointing to your router.  I'm betting you
> >don't have one.
> >
> >You can configure DHCP to grab the DNS and default route info when it
> >gets the IP from the router.  You'll just have to make sure your router
> >gives out the info.  If not, then you'll have to set default route and
> >your /etc/resolv.conf by hand.
> >

> That seems to be it.  netstat -r reveals that the Destination is
> 192.168.0.0, which should be 192.168.0.1 (the router).  Again, since
> things are peachy on the win side I'm assuming that the router is
> providing that information.  Should I poke around in
> /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp or ifcfg-eth1?  Where else should I look?

ifcfg-eth1:
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=

> If I need to manually set it in /etc/resolv.conf, so you have an
> example?  The man page on resolv.conf isn't very handy.

resolve.conf:

search linux.bogus     ## assuming linux.bogus is your domain
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    # external ISP's DNS

OR set nameserver to point to your router, if you have a
caching/forwarding DNS on it.

For better docs, consult your friendly neighborhood DNS-HOWTO for
caching/forwarding servers.

My personal experience, my linksys wap didn't do what I wanted
DHCP/DNS-wise, so I set up one of my linux boxes (the one with the
modem) to be the DHCP/DNS server.