[ltp] windows won't boot on dual boot T40

Douglas N. Arnold linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:35:46 -0600

I have installed Debian Woody on a new IBM Thinkpad T40, keeping the
delivered Windows XP around as an alternative, but I am unable to boot
windows.

Lilo seems OK and booting into Linux succeeds, but when I try to
boot into Windows I get

  Bad system disk,
  Replace the disk and then press any key

I can mount the windows partition under Linux (I have never booted it,
so it hasn't been converted from FAT32 to NTFS), and it looks fine.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.  I do have
the recovery CDs from IBM, but as best I can tell if I run the recovery
program from them it will reformat and repartition my disk and I will
lose the Linux installation.

Here is some background info:
I used qtparted to partition the disk leaving Windows in
hda1 and installing Linux in hda2 and hda4, with swap in hda3.
fdisk reports:

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10337 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1         948     7166848+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2   *         949        1078      982800   83  Linux
/dev/hda3            1079        1208      982800   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda4            1209        9921    65870280   83  Linux

Thanks in advance for any help. -- Doug Arnold