[ltp] windows won't boot on dual boot T40

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:14:57 -0800

At 06:55 PM 12/21/2003, Paul Kaplan wrote:

>Can you re-install the Windows boot loader to the MBR (I've seen the routine
>somewhere, but can't recall where), boot XP to verify that the installation
>isn't corrupt and then re-install lilo?  You may need to let XP do a chkdsk
>or try to let the XP installer do a repair.

Your linux installation should have kept a copy of the original MBR in
/boot, or you could restore it with a standard XP installation CD.  To give
yourself more chances, before you do that, make an additional installation
of lilo (not on MBR, not on Reiserfs, preferably on a separate /boot
partition) and make the Windows file copy of it, to add to the boot.ini
menu, so you will be able to boot linux from the Windows boot
menu.  Attempting to use a possibly obsolete version of lilo to boot
Windows from an NTFS partition may not be a good idea.  I'm not familiar
enough with Debian to know why you didn't use grub, but lilo will work fine
off the Windows menu, provided you make a fresh Windows copy every time you
modify lilo.