[ltp] Centrino wireless working

Eric Gourgoulhon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:18:07 +0100

Hi,

David Barroso wrote:

>Hi all,
>today I've tried the ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper.sf.net) and at last I can
>use my t41 Centrino wireless card in linux (although using the XP
>drivers :() Just to say that it works.

Thanks for this good news ! I've immediately tried on my
ThinkPad R40 Centrino and it works as well.

Actually, I've got a small trouble when downloading the Windows XP
drivers to get the .sys and .inf files (step 3 of the installation
procedure).
Since I have completely erased Windows from my hard disk, leaving
only Linux, I had to download these files from somewhere.

I first tried from Intel site,
http://support.intel.com/support/network/wireless/pro2100/update.htm
where I have been redirected
to IBM page for the driver of the Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B card
for ThinkPad's R40, R50, T40, T41, X31. But there is only a .exe file
(iprowiir.exe) and no .sys or .inf file.

In view of this, I've been back to ndiswrapper page, and downloaded
the Windows driver for  Asus M2400N in the list
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/supported_cards.html

I've used the W70N51.SYS and W70N51.INF from this
driver package and it worked !
(On the contrary the driver from the Acer Travelmate 803
did not worked).

Although it worked (when typing the command wlist scan, I see
the access point of my neighbours), is it safe to do so
(I mean using the drivers for the Asus computer) ?
If not, how to download the drivers for the ThinkPad ?

Best wishes,

    Eric.

--
Eric Gourgoulhon
Laboratoire de l'Univers et de ses THeories (LUTH)