[ltp] Suggested models?

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:08:32 +0100

Hi,

> What's crappy about T23 sound support?  I've not problems with ALSA.
> Is it crappy because you need ALSA and cannot make do with sound drivers
> available in standard kernels?

;-) Yes, i have to admit that crappy is a bit too strong a word.
I'm using kernel builtin i810 drivers, which makes sound output not the
best quality. I also read about that in the net somewhere.

Don't know if its the same with the ALSA drivers (they didn't work for
me when trying with the 0.9.6 release - had some strange problems with
pcm not accessible by i.e. xmms.)

I also have to say that i can realize this more when putting audio
through the docks lineout than when using the notebooks headphone plug.

> I'm very happy with my T23 running Debian.  The only downside is its
> video (S3 with no 3D acceleration, and no Xinerama) and the fact that
> being an older model, my T23 does not have newer features (USB2, builtin
> WiFi/Bluetooth, FireWire although so far I've never missed FireWire).

Besides the graphics issue and sometimes missing acpi support i'm also
very happy with the machine.

It just seems to me like over time the newer models, especially the T4x
range will be better supported.

Andre.